Police Brutality Frequently Asked Questions

The constitutional rights lawyers at Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates in White Lake serve Michigan with responsive, caring and aggressive representation when members of law enforcement or jailors engage in brutal acts, excessive force or otherwise harmfully violate an individual’s rights. Anyone may be subjected to police brutality during an encounter with police in Michigan.

Often, it is difficult for members of the community to know where to turn for guidance and assistance in pursuing justice when the system leads to the violation of a person’s rights. Our attorneys fight hard to safeguard the constitutional rights of clients in Detroit, Flint, Pontiac, Kalamazoo and throughout the Lower Peninsula. We have complied a list of common questions and answers people may have regarding police brutality and jailor negligence or abuse.

If injured in a police misconduct/brutality incident, what should be done?

Get names of witnesses. Take photos of injuries suffered.

What actions should I NOT take when speaking with a police officer?

Don’t say, “I know my rights,” “I’m going to file a complaint/sue” or “I pay your salary.” Don’t resist or fight if you’re going to be arrested even if the cop is wrong, or they don’t tell you why.

What should you do in the event of police misconduct/brutality?

Note the date, time and location of the incident. Note – but do not ask for – the name, badge or car number of the officers involved. Note the physical description of the officers.

What should you do when confronted by a police officer?

Stay calm, and be courteous. Don’t be rude or curse at the officer. Take off your headset, or turn down your music. If asked, give your name and address. You don’t have to answer any other questions.

Do prison or jail detainees have any remedy for abuse or neglect?

Even when incarcerated, you are entitled to natural human rights. These rights are not always upheld in Michigan jails and prisons. When a person is locked up or being detained as they await trial, they should not have to worry about being neglected, abused, or mistreated. A formidable lawyer can help you to pursue justice for jail or prison injuries.

What steps should be taken after a police misconduct/ brutality experience?

Contact our civil rights attorneys immediately, call 248-886-8650. If criminally charged, don’t speak until you’ve consulted a criminal defense attorney.