Michigan Wrongful Death Lawyers
Contact the Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates today to get compassionate and committed legal representation if you have lost loved ones in accidents.
Dealing with the sudden and unexpected loss of a parent, spouse, child, or another member of your family is one of the most challenging things we will ever have to do. Learning that your loved one has lost their life as a result of another person’s negligence just makes accepting the loss more difficult. There are many instances where innocent people are killed due to the actions of others. In fact, these incidents take the lives of tens of thousands of people in Michigan each year.
When someone else’s intentional, reckless, or negligent behavior causes your loved one to die, it can feel as though your world has ended, and moving forward may seem impossible to you. You deserve to have someone at your side who can help you seek justice for your loss and provide you with the resources you need to take that next step.
Here at the Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates, you can find a team of Michigan wrongful death attorneys who are compassionate about providing their clients with the level of care and consideration they deserve during such a difficult time. We want to do everything in our power to make the claims process as easy as possible for you and your family, which is why we make it our priority to do as much of the work in your claim as possible.
What is deemed “Wrongful Death” in Michigan?
Under Michigan law, a death is considered to be a “wrongful death” when it is caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or fault of another person or entity. Wrongful death also includes injury to a pregnant woman that results in the death of a fetus or stillborn birth.
The state law further stipulates that if a deceased person were able to sue for damages if the death had not occurred, then the person who represents their estate has a right to pursue a claim following their death.
There are various parties in the state of Michigan who are able to pursue wrongful death actions against negligent parties. These include:
- The spouse of the deceased victim
- The surviving children of the deceased
- The descendants of the deceased
- The parents and grandparents of the deceased victim
- The siblings of the deceased
- Stepchildren of the deceased
If you are one of the above-listed entitled parties, you have up to three years from the date of the death to pursue legal action against the negligent party. It is important that you understand that waiting to file a legal claim can jeopardize the strength of your case. By waiting, you run the risk of losing evidence and not having witnesses available. Instead, it is in your best interest to take legal action as soon as possible.
By reaching out to our Michigan wrongful death lawyers, we can discuss your case and how any settlement or verdicts in favor of the estate of the deceased may be divided among all surviving family members and other entitled parties.
Accidents Leading to Wrongful Death
Every year, thousands of people lose their lives in accidents across our state. In many instances, these accidents are a result of the negligent, reckless, or malicious actions of others. When victims lose their lives in accidents, it is crucial that their families seek legal guidance as soon as possible.
In some instances, families may have legal options available to help them recover financial compensation for funeral expenses and various other economic and non-economic damages they face. Our Michigan wrongful death lawyers at Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates have decades of experience representing bereaved families who have lost loved ones in various accidents, including:
- Car Accidents: More than 1,000 people are fatally injured in motor vehicle accidents in our state each year. These accidents are often attributed to some form of negligence.
- Bus Accidents: Buses are used in cities across our state as a cost-efficient method of transportation. Although these vehicles are required to be operated by skilled, fully licensed, and experienced drivers, this is not always the case. We see many people lose their lives in bus accidents caused by drivers who engage in reckless behaviors while operating their vehicles.
- Bicycle Accidents: More than 1,500 bicyclists are involved in traffic-related incidents across our state each year. More than 20 victims end up passing away from their injuries. Losing a loved one in a bicycle accident is one of the most challenging things to cope with. For this reason, our Michigan wrongful death lawyers can help you get some sense of justice by pursuing legal action against negligent drivers.
- Motorcycle Accidents: The state of Michigan is home to more than 237,000 motorcyclists. Although these riders should be able to safely travel throughout the area, we continue to see them lose their lives at an alarming rate. In fact, more than 100 riders are fatally injured in crashes across our state each year. These accidents are often preventable, yet we continue to see innocent victims killed by negligent drivers.
- Truck/Commercial Vehicle Accidents: Nearly 100 people are killed every year in truck accidents in our state. Losing a loved one in a truck accident can be devastating. It is crucial that you seek the assistance of a legal team that is well-versed in handling these complex legal claims.
- Train/Light Rail Accidents: There are around 3,600 miles of rail corridors in Michigan State’s rail system. Although we hope that trains are able to travel throughout our state without any issues, this is not always the case. We routinely see trains involved in accidents that result in death and serious injuries.
- Taxi Accidents: A lot of people turn to taxis for their transportation needs. These vehicles are reliable, available, and easy to request. Although we want to believe that we are always safe while traveling inside taxis, this is not always true. There are many instances where taxi crashes take the lives of innocent people.
- Rideshare Accidents: We have seen a drastic increase in the number of people utilizing rideshare vehicles across our state. Although Uber and Lyft are more prevalent, we continue to see people lose their lives in rideshare accidents at an increasing rate as well. In fact, more than 100 people lose their lives in rideshare accidents each year in our state.
- Pedestrian Accidents: More than 175 pedestrians lose their lives in motor vehicle accidents across the state of Michigan each year. These accidents are often caused by drivers who are distracted, impaired, or engaging in other reckless actions while operating their vehicles. These accidents often force families to deal with life-altering consequences.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical negligence and instances of malpractice take the lives of more than 250,000 people across the United States each year. We see many patients lose their lives in our state due to medication errors, surgical errors, and other forms of malpractice. If your loved one has lost their life as a result of a negligent doctor, nurse, or another medical professional, contact our wrongful death lawyers in Michigan as soon as possible.
- Nursing Home Abuse/Neglect: Studies show that more than 24% of nursing home patients are abused or neglected every year. In some instances, these acts of neglect ultimately take the lives of innocent patients. When victims lose their lives as a result of abuse or negligence, you must take legal action right away.
- Product Liability Incidents: Millions of people are harmed by defective products across the United States each year. In many instances, victims suffer severe injuries that ultimately take their lives. In these instances, we help families hold every liable party accountable for their actions and inactions.
- Premises Liability Incidents: Although we expect homes and businesses to be safe, this is not always the case. Numerous people are involved in fatal premises liability accidents every year in our state. We see many people lose their lives in drowning accidents, fall accidents, shootings, and other acts of violence in our state.
- Workplace accidents: We see many people lose their lives in accidents at warehouses, construction sites, and various other job sites throughout our state. Regardless of the strict safety standards that are required of Michigan businesses, we continue to see innocent people lose their lives in accidents while on the job.
No matter what type of accident in which your loved one lost their life, it is crucial that you act quickly to protect your legal rights. You may be entitled to compensation that can help you cover the costs your family is left to endure. Contact our wrongful death lawyers in Michigan right away to get started on your case.
How Do You Prove a Wrongful Death?
To prove a wrongful death, you must be able to show that the person was negligent, careless, or otherwise reckless while causing the death of another person. For example, a person ran a red light in their vehicle and caused a fatal car accident or someone failed to secure a machine, causing it to topple over and land on someone passing by. If the death was caused by an intentional act, you must also present evidence to support this claim.
In general, your Michigan wrongful death lawyer will perform a thorough investigation of your loved one’s accident. Our lawyers will uncover the facts of the death and create the strongest case possible to show that the defendant was reckless, negligent, or engaged in malicious actions that led to your loved one’s passing. We will prove that the elements of negligence existed at the time of the accident. This includes showing:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to the victim
- The defendant breached the duty of care
- The breach of the duty of care resulted in the death of the victim
- You suffered damages as a result of the death
Our lawyers will put together a solid legal claim on your behalf to ensure justice is served.
How Long Does it Take to Complete a Case?
The length of a wrongful death case, from start to finish, will depend on a variety of factors. There are certain types of cases, like medical malpractice claims, that will take much longer than others. There are also instances where judges allow longer periods of time for the parties to investigate and take depositions.
Generally, wrongful death claims contain more complex issues that often take longer than most other types of claims. Most trial judges will require representatives from both the defendant and the claimant to attend mediation or engage in settlement negotiations. You can expect the claim to take several months or even years from start to finish. However, cases that are able to be settled without having to go to trial generally take less time than those that require court appearances.
What is the Average Wrongful Death Settlement in Michigan?
Given the fact that every wrongful death claim is unique, there is no way to determine what a typical or average wrongful death settlement is. The actual dollar amount recovered in a case is based on the damages that claimants endure, the circumstances surrounding the accident, and who all is involved. However, working with a skilled legal team can provide you insight as to what you can expect moving forward.
Our Experience can be Your Advantage
Our team of attorneys has encountered nearly every type of cause in a wrongful death case. We can help you seek compensation for your loss in tragedies, including:
- A car accident that is the result of negligence or reckless driving
- A motor vehicle accident that is the result of a defective product
- Death as a result of an assault, battery, or murder
- Death as a result of another crime
- Wrongful death in a jail or prison setting
- Wrongful death due to police brutality
No matter what was the cause of your loss, we work to identify all of the unique factors that make up your claim and work to use them to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions.
Damages Available for Your Family
By pursuing a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party, our Michigan wrongful death lawyers can help your family get the maximum amount of compensation available to cover the damages you face. Some of the most common damages that are awarded to plaintiffs in our state include:
- Lost earnings and benefits
- The loss of inheritance
- The loss of support and services provided by the deceased
- The loss of companionship, guidance, and instruction for minors w
- The loss of companionship and protection for surviving spouses
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Medical expenses resulting from the injury and leading up to the time of death
- Burial costs
- Funeral expenses
- Lost wages from the date of the injury until the date the victim passed away
Although no amount of compensation can ever replace your loved one, having the financial resources necessary to cover these and other costs your family faces as you move forward can help alleviate some of the stress you are forced to endure.
Our lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation into your loved one’s accident and determine the value of your case. We will then demand full and timely compensation from the at-fault party and help your family get justice. Contact the Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates today to meet with our team.
Contact Our Law Firm Today to Protect Your Legal Rights
Although nothing can take away the overwhelming sadness we endure after losing a loved one, taking legal action can help you get justice. Working with our wrongful death lawyers in Michigan can ensure the responsible party is held to account. A legal claim can help you secure the compensation you need for funeral and burial expenses and it can give you the resources needed to fill the financial void that your loved one will leave. Taking legal action right away can ensure you are in the best position possible.
Our Michigan wrongful death lawyers at the Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates are available to help you get justice after enduring the loss of a loved one. We understand how painful it can be to relive the traumatic loss of a loved one during these claims, which is why we make it our priority to handle the lion’s share of the work on your behalf. You can count on us to secure the best possible compensation for your loss with as little effort on your behalf as possible.
You can schedule your free initial consultation by calling us at (248) 886-8650. Take some time today to meet with us to begin to help you move toward a brighter tomorrow. We serve communities throughout Michigan, including the towns of White Lake, Flint, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Southfield, Lansing, and Bay City.