Reach Us 24/7

Call 248-886-8650 Now


Employee misconduct can be criminal in a number of different ways. Employee theft and embezzlement are just two of the ways that employees can commit criminal misconduct. This criminal behavior can cost employers significantly, and can also impact the entire economy.

Most complaints about employee misconduct begin with a complaint to law enforcement. A local county sheriff, city police department or Michigan State Police can take a complaint about employee misconduct and begin an investigation. Employers are encouraged to call or visit their local police department or district headquarters to make a complaint. They can also make a complaint directly to the Michigan State Police.

In some cases, the local state police investigate the case. They're able to complete a report and send it to the local prosecuting attorney for a decision on whether to file charges. In other cases, the Michigan State Police refer the case to the Professional Standards Section for formal review. The way each case is handled depends on the specifics of the facts of the case.

A member of the public can make a complaint about employee misconduct directly to the Michigan State Police headquarters. They can contact the Professional Standards Section directly. To make the complaint, they complete a form called a Public Complaint Against Employee.

The form asks for information about the person making the complaint. It also asks for witness information. Finally, the form asks for information about the incident in question and the person or people under suspicion. The report asks for as many specifics as possible including dates and times as well as license plates involved or police report numbers if they exist.

Members of the public can email their completed complaint to They can fax the form to (517) 284-3241. Finally, they can mail their complaint to the state police at: Michigan State Police, Attn: Professional Standards Section, P.O. Box 30634, 7150 Harris Drive Dimondale, MI 48821.

Typically, a member of the Professional Standards Section follows up with the complaining person in three business days or less. Complaining persons are welcome to follow up with the department if they don't receive a response within three business days. They may do so by calling the Professional Standards Section at (517) 284-3278.

Employee misconduct is not as rare as many may believe. If misconduct by a co-worker somehow puts you in the line of danger, it is important that you seek legal counsel from a qualified attorney. Michigan Legal Center is here to help you secure the maximum compensation available for your specific case. Contact us today for a free consultation with a County personal injury attorney to discover your legal options.

Related Posts

What are the Laws Governing Unconstitutional Searches?

What are the Laws Governing Unconstitutional Searches?

In 2014, a man was arrested in Michigan on charges of possession of marijuana and...

Michigan Governor Calls For Police Reform As Government

Michigan Governor Calls For Police Reform As Government...

Police reform is a topic that has been at the heart of numerous local and...

Are LGBT Employees in Michigan Protected Against Discrimination?

Are LGBT Employees in Michigan Protected Against Discrimination?

The United States has made considerable progress in recognition of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender...

Previous PostNext Post

Get Answers From Experienced Lawyers

We are available for free consultations in person, via Zoom or through FaceTime.

Required Fields *
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

White Lake

9750 Highland Road
White Lake, MI 48386
248-886-8650White Lake


336 W First Street
Flint, MI 48502


251 North Rose St., Ste 200-6013
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Ann Arbor 

2723 South State St. Ste 250-15096
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734-882-2646Ann Arbor

Grand Rapids 

250 Monroe NW, Ste 400-706039
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
616-591-3700Grand Rapids 


2000 Town Center, Ste 1900-1237
Southfield, MI 48075


120 N Washington, Ste 300-5101
Lansing, MI 48933

Bay City 

401 Center Ave, Ste 25
Bay City, MI 48708

989-262-0787Bay City
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram