Taking the deposition is one of the most important steps in your personal injury case. It is in your best interests to hire an experienced Michigan truck accident attorney who will advise you on how to optimally dress, behave, and perform at your deposition.
Your Michigan Truck Accident Attorney on Preparing for the Deposition
You don’t have to worry about whether you will have time to prepare, as you are likely to receive plenty of notice. For the best result at your deposition, heed the following recommendation as well as advice from your Michigan truck accident attorney.
- Dress in a style appropriate for a formal occasion like a job interview.
- Carefully read any documents such as your interrogatory answers. As for Michigan truck accident attorney will remind you, this means that you must read everything instead of just glancing at difficult parts. Effective preparation will increase your chances of a favorable settlement.
- Always be truthful in your answers, even if they may damage your case. Your Michigan truck accident attorney will warn you that outright fabrications can undo your case, and the defense attorney will be actively looking for it.
- Never engage in verbal quarrels with the defense lawyer. As your Michigan truck accident attorney will surely remind, this will accomplish nothing.
- Always be courteous at your deposition. There is no downside to being polite, and may even help your case.
- Pay close attention to the lawyer’s question. Your Michigan truck accident lawyer will caution you about not jumping ahead to answer unfinished questions.
- Give some thoughts to your answer before articulating them.
- Don’t automatically agree with the defense attorney when he asks you to agree. Any Michigan truck accident lawyer is familiar with the defense tactic of making the deponent agree to a series of true statement, then asking a final untrue statement that the deponent may unwittingly agree to since he or she were conditioned to do so. Be alert and pay attention to the question or be mindful in your responses.
- Avoiding volunteering additional information when you answer. Michigan truck accident lawyers are wary of witnesses who ruin a case because they don’t know when to stop. Unless instructed otherwise by the defense, you can answer their questions without depth explanations.
- Make eye contact with the defense attorney as much as you can, and speak loudly so he or she can hear you.
For Legal Assistance
If you are interested in retaining a top notch Michigan truck accident attorney, please contact the Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates at1-800-961-8477. Our attorneys will make sure that you are sufficiently ready for your depositions and any other steps necessary for your case. The initial consultation is free.