To properly prepare a DUI claim for trial, a DUI attorney in Detroit will need to investigate the different factors that may have affected the client’s driving behavior and driving ability.
Each individual handles alcohol differently. While a 120-pound, 24-year-old female may not be able to walk in a straight line after only two drinks, a 220-pound, 42-year-old male may not even feel the effects of a six-pack of beer. There are different variables that affect each person’s alcohol tolerance.
A competent DUI attorney in Detroit will need to thoroughly investigate your case, and gather all the key information about your alcohol consumption, driving performance, and experiences just preceding your arrest that may ultimately play a crucial role in the outcome of a DUI trial.
Every case is different. But in the end, every attorney will need to accrue much of the same general information during his or her case evaluation. This information includes:
- Occupation, especially if it involves exposure to chemicals
- Consumption of alcohol
- Conditions relating to sight
- Whether the client has had any surgeries
- Whether the clients is under the routine care of a physician
- List of prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
- Events leading up to the DUI arrest
- Exact time of when the drinking session started and ended
- Amount and types of alcohol consumed
- Rate of alcohol consumption
- Ingestion of any food during consumption of alcohol
- The exact types and portions of foods consumed
- Exact behavior that caused the DUI arrest, as identified by the arresting officer
- How long the officer observed the driver
- Make and model of the car
- Whether there were any mechanical problems with the car that could have led to poor driving
- Distractions in the car or on the road that may have caused alleged foul behavior