Worker’s Compensation Claims: Filing, Eligibility and Compensation Benefits

by | May 3, 2017 | Personal Injury | 0 comments

An employee should be compensated for any work-related injuries or occupational diseases, regardless of whether his employer was at fault or not. However, workers like independent contractors and volunteers are not covered by workers’ compensation for injuries they may sustain at the place of work.

When to Talk to an Attorney

An employee should contact a workers’ compensation attorney if his employer is challenging his claim. He can also consider finding a lawyer if his injuries are severe or he has other extenuating factors like Social Security. The workers’ compensation attorney will advocate for the worker throughout the entirety of the legal process.

Filing a Claim

The worker should notify his employer immediately after he is injured or becomes ill at the place of work. The employer will give the employee the forms required to file a workers’ compensation claim. Once the worker has notified the employer, it is the job of the employer to notify the workers’ compensation insurance company of your claims. If the employer is self-insured, he then takes care of the claims from his fund that it set aside for that work.

Once the employee has filed the claim, it’s time now for compensation. Workers’ compensation benefits include medical benefits, wage replacement, permanent disability payments, and vocational rehabilitation as explained below:

  1. Medical Treatment

While an employee is entitled to medical treatment for any work-related injury or occupational disease, he must be able to justify that he sustained those injuries at the place of work. The employer is, however, not responsible for footing all medical bills for all health conditions while an employee has an open workers’ comp claim. Instead, the workers’ comp insurance company is the one to pay for the treatments, but the claim must be reasonable and necessary. The worker’s health condition must have required a medical treatment beyond a simple first aid.

  1. Lost and Decreased Wages

An employee is entitled to lost wages compensation if he is unable to work due to work-related medical conditions. The compensation is a weekly payment of about 80 percent of his post-tax average weekly wage.

If an employee returns to work after an injury, but he receives less wage than he did at the time of his injury, then he gets partial benefits to cater for the decreased wages. These benefits are 80 percent of the difference in his wages.

According to the law, the employee receives lost-wage benefits 14 days after his employer has noticed his disability.

  1. Vocational rehabilitation

A worker would qualify for vocational rehabilitation services if he was unable to return to his previous employment after recovering fully. He, however, undergoes a job retraining to be able to return to his previous employer in another position. A vocational counselor can also assist the employee to gain the necessary skills to look for a job elsewhere.

  1. Permanent disability payments

A worker who has been partially or permanently disabled is entitled to additional disability benefits. The permanently disabled employee receives lump sum monetary payments. A worker qualifies for permanent disability benefits only when there are no further curative treatment options for his conditions.

An experienced workers’ compensation attorney from Michigan Legal Center can analyze the details of your specific case and determine the best course of action for your claim. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.

Detroit, MI – I-275 Car Accident Injures Victims at Eureka Rd

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - On Monday, November 27, two or three drivers crashed on northbound Interstate 275 in the city of Detroit, resulting in at least one injury. At around 9:30 p.m., an accident occurred in the northbound lanes of Interstate 275 near the...

Ingham Co, MI – Semi-Truck Collision Causes Injury on I-96 at M-52

Ingham County, MI (November 27, 2023) - Traffic on westbound I-96 at M-52 was impacted Monday morning due to a crash. The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) reported the crash at around 8:00 a.m. on Nov. 27. Local footage captured photos of the crash, where...

Detroit, MI – Multi-Vehicle Wreck w/Injuries at 23 Mile & Hayes Rds

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - On Monday afternoon, November 27, a collision involving at least two drivers and reported injuries occurred on 23 Mile Road in the Detroit metropolitan region. The Detroit Police Department was summoned to the site shortly after the...

Lansing, MI – Wrong-Way Crash on US 127 at Barnes Under Inquiry

Lansing, MI (November 27, 2023) - U.S. Highway 127 southbound, south of Barnes Road, was closed due to a possible wrong-way accident on Monday, November 27. Multiple fire and rescue services were sent to the scene. Within minutes, deputies from Lansing had also...

Detroit, MI – Pedestrian Collision, Injuries on I-94 Near 23 Mile

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - On Monday evening, November 27, a driver in Detroit reportedly hit a pedestrian on a local highway, resulting in major injuries. The incident reportedly took place near eastbound I-94 and 23 Mile Road at around 8:40 p.m. No additional...

Detroit, MI – Injuries Occur in Car Accident on I-94 After 21 Mile

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - An accident involving at least two drivers happened on a local highway on Monday, November 27, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation, resulting in a handful of potential victim injuries. At about 8:10 p.m., EMTs,...

Detroit, MI – DUI Suspected in Injury Vehicle Wreck on I-96

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - Detroit police have released further details after a serious accident that occurred over the weekend and now believe alcohol was a factor in a crash on I-96 that hospitalized multiple people. According to authorities, the crash...

Detroit, MI – Injury-Causing Wreck on I-696 After Orchard Lake

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - On Monday evening, November 27, a multiple-vehicle crash resulted in at least one injury at the scene and closed down a local highway, according to local authorities. Several drivers were involved in a collision that shut down...

Detroit, MI – Three Hurt After Driver Crashes into Fillmore on Woodward

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - A driver crashed into The Fillmore on Monday, leaving a mess behind at the Downtown Detroit venue. Around 2:25 p.m., a woman driving an SUV hit the box office of the theater on Woodward Avenue. Though the box office was destroyed in...

Detroit, MI – M-39 Scene of Injury Accident Near Grand River

Detroit, MI (November 27, 2023) - After an accident on Monday afternoon, November 27, a local Detroit roadway was nearly completely closed. Multiple left lanes, along with the freeway ramp, of northbound Michigan Highway 39 at the Grand River exit were closed due to...