Reach Us 24/7

Call 248-886-8650 Now

There are few consequences for police officers when they use excessive force. A recent article stated that in 98 percent of brutality cases, the police officer involved doesn't get charged with a crime. There are a lot of things that be considered excessive force. However, any time that a police officer uses more violence than the situation calls for, it is 'excessive force.'

For example, when a person gets handcuffed, and the officer continues to beat and injure the individual, that is considered excessive. A question that may arise when witnessing an encounter like this is, can you sue the police for misconduct?

It can be shocking to witness an event like this, but there are things that spectators can do.

Can People Record Police Brutality?

Almost everyone today has a smartphone. Many people have recorded police brutality on their phones and posted it on the internet. Many of these videos have received millions of views. However, some people have questioned whether this is legal. It is up to the court to decide whether it is legal.

Generally speaking, it is legal for people to record in public, meaning that you can document a police officer abusing someone.

However, if you choose to record, then you will need to do so from a distance. Some states require that police officers wear a body cam. Even with the body cam, it is best if someone can record the entire incident, to make sure there are other sources of recording.

Who Should You Turn to for Help?

Many people do not know where to take the information that they record. It may seem as though the best place to bring it is to the police station since that's where you report crimes. However, when an officer is committing an infraction, the best place that you can take the footage is to a police misconduct attorney.

There are also community organizations that can help you. If you do not want to get involved in the legal proceedings, then you can submit the footage anonymously. You will need to provide the recording as soon as possible. However, you can still offer the footage even if it is over a week old. The sooner you send the tape in, the sooner the appropriate people will be able to start taking action.

If you have witnessed police brutality contact Michigan Legal Center. Our team of police brutality lawyers works closely with clients who have suffered injustice. We fight on behalf of clients to help them recover the maximum compensation for what they suffered at the hands of public officials in Michigan. Contact us for a free case evaluation today.

Related Posts

Have Police Learned Anything About Controlling Protests In...

In the days following the killing of George Floyd in Minnesota, thousands of protests broke...

Genesee County Settles Excessive Force Lawsuit for $520,000

Genesee County in Flint, Michigan agreed to pay $520,000 to a woman as a settlement...

Have I Been a Victim of Civil Rights...

Americans are endowed with two things: liberty and rights, two words found in the Declaration...

Previous PostNext Post

Get Answers From Experienced Lawyers

We are available for free consultations in person, via Zoom or through FaceTime.

Required Fields *
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

White Lake

9750 Highland Road
White Lake, MI 48386
248-886-8650White Lake Law 


336 W First Street
Flint, MI 48502
810-234-5678Flint Law 


251 North Rose St., Ste 200-6013
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
269-447-2200Kalamazoo Law 

Ann Arbor 

2723 South State St. Ste 250-15096
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734-882-2646Ann Arbor Law 

Grand Rapids 

250 Monroe NW, Ste 400-706039
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
616-591-3700Grand Rapids 


2000 Town Center, Ste 1900-1237
Southfield, MI 48075


120 N Washington, Ste 300-5101
Lansing, MI 48933
517-546-2279Lansing Law 

Bay City 

401 Center Ave, Ste 25
Bay City, MI 48708

989-262-0787Bay City Law 
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram