Reach Us 24/7

Call 248-886-8650 Now

It’s generally difficult to prove a case of police misconduct. Law enforcement has been granted a pretty broad range of authority when pursuing cases, although this doesn’t mean they’re always invincible. There are still federal and even state level laws that impact how an officer must carry out his or her duties. A violation of someone's civil rights while making an arrest is unlawful, and the victim of those violations should pursue their case in court. 

Proving A Case In Michigan

If you reside in the state of Michigan, it’s important to know that a police officer isn’t necessarily violating your rights just because they fail to take complete and proper care while handling each and every aspect of their job. This can seem frustrating to many; all of us would hope that an officer would act professionally at all times. What they’re not allowed to do is willfully and knowingly violate your rights through acts of misconduct.

Sorting through the difference between the two in a court of law is best done by a trained and seasoned attorney. Attorneys who have worked these kinds of cases in the past are often aware of what’s needed to present a solid case before a judge and jury. They know what wins a case and what doesn’t. They can steer you toward a winning strategy and help you get a positive resolution to your case. 

When Police Overstep Their Bounds

Police officers do sometimes overstep their authority, and it’s important to pursue cases like this in a court of law. If you’re the victim of police misconduct, what should you do about it? You will need to gather as much documented evidence as possible. Don't expect the judges or jury to immediately believe your story just because you’re claiming it’s true. Most juries today expect hard evidence to be presented to them. 

Bring all of the evidence you possess to an experienced police misconduct attorney. It’s important to consult a legal expert to determine what kind of case you have. They will know how to approach your case moving forward.  

Find an Experienced Lawyer To Help You

Cases against law enforcement agencies are complex and can be difficult to prove, which is why it’s crucial to get the right lawyer. The attorneys at the Michigan Legal Center have helped residents for the last two decades present strong police brutality and police misconduct cases. Call 1800-961-8477 for a free consultation with an experienced lawyer. Christopher Trainor & Associates are happy to answer any questions you have and advise you on the next steps you need to take to receive compensation after a bad experience with law enforcement.

Related Posts

How Parents Should Talk to Their Children about...

Many children learn at a young age that police officers are friendly people who are...

How Police Misconduct Settlements Impact Communities

The tragic deaths of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, and many others saw a reinvigorated and...

Michigan Governor Calls For Police Reform As Government...

Police reform is a topic that has been at the heart of numerous local and...

Previous PostNext Post

Get Answers From Experienced Lawyers

We are available for free consultations in person, via Zoom or through FaceTime.

Required Fields *
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

White Lake

9750 Highland Road
White Lake, MI 48386
248-886-8650White Lake Law 


336 W First Street
Flint, MI 48502
810-234-5678Flint Law 


251 North Rose St., Ste 200-6013
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
269-447-2200Kalamazoo Law 

Ann Arbor 

2723 South State St. Ste 250-15096
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734-882-2646Ann Arbor Law 

Grand Rapids 

250 Monroe NW, Ste 400-706039
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
616-591-3700Grand Rapids 


2000 Town Center, Ste 1900-1237
Southfield, MI 48075


120 N Washington, Ste 300-5101
Lansing, MI 48933
517-546-2279Lansing Law 

Bay City 

401 Center Ave, Ste 25
Bay City, MI 48708

989-262-0787Bay City Law 
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram