Have I Been a Victim of Civil Rights Infringement?

by | Jan 6, 2020 | Civil Rights, Police Brutality | 0 comments

Americans are endowed with two things: liberty and rights, two words found in the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights. Our civil liberties protect us from government actions that can infringe on rights like free speech or freedom of assembly. Our civil rights, on the other hand, are actions by the government to create equal conditions for all Americans and to prevent those belonging to a minority group from having their rights denied.

So with those protections in place, how do you know if your civil rights have been infringed upon? The answers can be more complex than it sounds since only certain rights are protected under civil rights and anti-discrimination laws. Let’s take a closer look at how you can tell if you’ve been the victim of a civil rights infringement. 

Have Your Civil Rights Been Violated?

There are several ways your civil rights can be violated. Civil rights violations often occur through discrimination. There are several forms of discrimination a person can face, including:

  • Racial discrimination
  • Sex discrimination
  • Religious discrimination
  • Pregnancy discrimination
  • Discrimination because of a person’s national origin
  • Disability discrimination
  • Age discrimination

Discrimination happens when one person treats another person differently due to a personal characteristic they cannot readily change. If you face discrimination at work, for example, you have legal protections available to you. 

Neither the government nor the private sector can deny you your basic civil rights, including your ability to find a job, housing, public credit, and access to public accommodations. But it’s also important to keep in mind that even if you believe you were discriminated against and your rights have been violated, it may be challenging to prove. 

For example, a landlord can’t deny a housing application from someone who is black — but the landlord can insist that applicants don’t have pets, and can reject applicants based on poor credit history. Those would not be civil rights violations since landlords are free to reject applicants who own pets or have bad credit. But it would be a civil rights violation if the landlord rejected applicants who are black or Latino because the landlord only wants Caucasian tenants, or claimed to prohibit owning pets but allowed white tenants to do so.

So it’s important to understand what civil rights are protected — and which ones are not.

Can My Civil Rights Be Violated by Hate Crimes?

Another form of civil rights violation is when you’re the victim of a hate crime. The Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice prosecutes hate crimes since it’s a federal crime to cause or attempt to cause injury to someone because of characteristics that include:

  • Their race
  • Religion
  • National origin
  • Gender
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity
  • or disability. 

These laws are used to prosecute those who engage in hate crimes — and in a variety of ways. The Shepard Act, for example, is used to prosecute bias-motivated beatings of gay people, such as someone attending a gay pride parade to either physically attack those who participate or to harass them by yelling homophobic slurs.

What are Some Examples of Hate Crimes?

In 2010, a Pennsylvania jury convicted two teens of violating the Fair Housing Act for beating a Mexican immigrant to death after jurors concluded the teen’s motive was to keep Latinos from living in their community. 

In other cases, police officers have been charged by federal prosecutors for assaulting people as they’re being interrogated or being placed under arrest. 

Anyone who believes they’ve been the victim of a hate crime can contact the FBI. Such violations can carry stiff penalties, including 10 years in federal prison for actions that result in bodily injury. 

What Options Do You Have if Your Civil Rights Were Violated?

If you think you may have been a victim of a civil rights infringement, you have several options available to you, including:

  • Filing a claim with the government
  • Bringing a lawsuit in civil court

A good place to start would be to get expert legal advice on whether your rights were violated. Hiring an attorney to assist with your civil rights claim is crucial because of the complexity of the legal issues involving civil rights laws. An experienced civil rights attorney can evaluate your case, know which laws apply to the situation, and explain the options available to you. A civil rights attorney will also know whether your case should be filed in federal or state court. 

An attorney can also assist you in filing a claim with the government so those agencies can take measures necessary to enforce your civil rights.  Once you’ve filed a complaint, it triggers an investigation into your claims by the state or federal agency. 

The bottom line is that you will need to get a complaint filed if you want the government to take steps to protect your civil rights. In some civil rights cases, a claim needs to be filed with the government before any private lawsuit can be pursued. The expert advice from legal counsel is going to be highly beneficial as you proceed.

 Rely on Our Civil Rights Legal Team in Michigan to Seek Justice 

Civil rights cases against landlords, employers, perpetrators of hate crimes, or police officers and law enforcement agencies are very complex and can be challenging to prove. If a police officer has committed a crime against you, it’s critical that you seek expert legal counsel. The attorneys at Michigan Legal Center have two decades of experience assisting residents with severe cases, including those involving police misconduct.

We’re happy to provide a free consultation and answer any questions you might have. Give us a call today at 1-800-961-8477. Christopher Trainer & Associates will advise you on what steps must be taken to receive compensation after going through a terrible experience with a police officer.

Detroit, MI – Car Crash Causes Injuries on I-696 at M-10

Detroit, MI (September 21, 2023) - According to an initial accident alert issued by the Detroit Police Department, a multiple-vehicle collision that occurred on Thursday, September 21, necessitated the involvement of local officers and EMTs. Additionally, the Michigan...

Detroit, MI – Two-Vehicle Collision w/Injuries at Garfield & 14 Mile

Detroit, MI (September 21, 2023) - At least one individual was injured on the afternoon of Thursday, September 21, due to an accident involving two or three vehicles that occurred on Garfield Road in Detroit. The collision occurred around 2:30 p.m. in the afternoon on...

Detroit, MI – Injury-Causing Accident on 14 Mile Rd at Groesbeck Hwy

Detroit, MI (September 21, 2023) - On Thursday evening, September 21, police were called to an accident involving two to three vehicles in the greater Detroit area. On Thursday at around 11:30 p.m. in the evening, there was an accident near the corner of 14 Mile Road...

Lansing, MI – Two Hospitalized in Pedestrian Wreck on Jolly Rd

Lansing, MI (September 21, 2023) - Two persons were hit by a vehicle Thursday night and sustained minor injuries, per officers from the Lansing Police Department. The accident occurred in the 2500 block of East Jolly Road. Lansing Police reported that both victims...

Detroit, MI – I-94 Site of Injury Car Accident at Concord Rd

Detroit, MI (September 21, 2023) - On Thursday, September 21, two or three drivers crashed on eastbound Interstate 94 in the city of Detroit, resulting in at least one injury. At around 6:00 a.m., an accident occurred in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 94 near the...

Grand Rapids, MI – Worker Killed in Jobsite Accident at Briggs Field

Grand Rapids, MI (September 21, 2023) - On Wednesday, September 19, a worker for Grand Rapids Public Schools was killed in a job site accident. At noon, while working at Briggs Field Athletic Facility, an employee was injured while riding a lawnmower.  The exact...

Detroit, MI – Injuries Recorded in Vehicle Wreck on M-39 at Joy Rd

Detroit, MI (September 21, 2023) - On Thursday morning, September 21, officers with the Detroit Police Department received a collision alert and a report of injuries at the scene of a multiple-vehicle accident on Highway 39. Right around 8:45 a.m. on the northbound...

Portage, MI – Teen Hit, Injured in Pedestrian Wreck on Kilgore Rd

Portage, MI (September 21, 2023) - Nick Armold, the chief of the Portage Department of Public Safety, stated that on Thursday morning, one of three 15-year-old girls heading to Loy Norrix High School was hit by a car. Armold said that the girls had been walking on the...

Detroit, MI – Car Accident, Injuries on I-696 at Orchard Lake

Detroit, MI (September 20, 2023) - On September 20, officers with the Detroit Police Department received a collision alert and a report of injuries at the scene of a multiple-vehicle accident on Interstate 696. Right around 9:00 a.m. on the eastbound side of the...

Kalamazoo, MI – Pedestrian Hospitalized in Crash on King Hwy at Mills

Kalamazoo, MI (September 20, 2023) - On Wednesday, a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle in Kalamazoo, according to the department. Traffic was blocked due to the accident on King Highway near Mills Street, and it was requested that motorists find an alternative route....